The other week I was responsible for bringing a pasta salad to a picnic outing. The problem was I knew I wasn’t going to have much time to dedicate to getting groceries or cooking, so I wanted to make something relatively easy that I already had most of the ingredients for. I then found this salad and knew I was set. All I had to pick up was tomatoes and basil.
Make sure when preparing this salad that it has time to cool down before serving. It is supposed to be served at room temperature, however I think it could also work cold. But definitely be sure to give time for the dressing to soak in and for all the flavors to blend together.
Orzo Salad with Chickpeas – 1 Knife (Adapted from Food Network)
- 1 box Orzo (about 1½ cups)
- 32 oz chicken broth
- 1 15 oz can of garbanzo beans (chickpeas)
- 1 pint container of grape tomatoes
- 1 small red onion
- ½ cup fresh basil
- 3-5 mint leaves
- ½ cup white wine vinegar
- 1 lemon
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 2 teaspoons salt
- ¾ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup olive oil
- In a medium to large pot bring the chicken broth to a boil over high heat. While the broth heats up you can prepare the other ingredients.
- Wash the grape tomatoes. Cut all of the tomatoes in half and set them aside.
- Peel the red onion and chop up the whole onion into a small dice. Set aside with the tomatoes.
- Open the can of chickpeas, drain the liquid and set aside.
- Wash and dry the basil and mint leaves. Cut the leaves into thin strips but cutting down the length of the leaves. Then cut the strips into a small dice. Set the basil and mint aside.
- Squeeze the juice of the lemon into a small bowl. Be sure to remove any seeds that fall into the bowl.
- Add to the lemon juice the vinegar, honey, salt, pepper and olive oil. Stir well until combined.
- Once the chicken broth is boiling cook the orzo according to the directions on the package.
- While the orzo cooks combine in a large bowl the chickpeas, tomatoes, onions, basil and mint. Stir to mix.
- Once the orzo has cooked strain it from the chicken broth, discarding leftover broth.
- Add the orzo to the bowl with the chickpeas and other ingredients.
- Immediately pour the dressing from the small bowl over the orzo.
- Stir the salad until all of the ingredients are well mixed.
- Allow it to chill in the fridge until the salad is at least room temperature, serve and enjoy!