I love it when a delicious recipe is beyond stupid easy. It makes me happy. Why should good food have to be difficult? This banana bread recipe is as easy as it gets when it comes to baking. The best part is you can add goodies like chocolate chips and walnuts to it to add flair.
When baking with bananas you want them to be over ripe, but not yet rotten. It’s a fine line. But a banana with lots of brown spots usually is perfect for baking. You want it to be super ripe and soft so that mashing it is easy.
Banana Bread – ½ rolling pin
- 1 stick butter (plus additional to grease the pan)
- 1 1/3 cup brown sugar (you can also use regular sugar instead)
- 1½ cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup plain yogurt or sour cream
- 1 cup bananas (about 2 large bananas)
- ½ cup chocolate chips (optional)
- ½ cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- An hour before baking set out the butter to soften.
- Preheat the oven to 350° Fahrenheit.
- Using spare butter grease a loaf pan (about 8 x 3½ x 4 inches) on all sides.
- In a bowl mash the bananas with a fork until they are well mashed and gooey. Set aside.
- Break the eggs into a small bowl, making sure no shells fall in with the eggs. Then beat the eggs with a fork and set aside.
- Measure out the yogurt and set aside.
- In a large bowl beat the butter with a fork until creamy.
- Add the sugar and stir to combine.
- Add the eggs to the sugar and butter and mix until fluffy.
- In a separate bowl combine the flour and baking soda.
- With a spatula stir in 1/3 of the flour to the butter and sugar and mix until incorporated.
- Next add the yogurt and stir until mixed in.
- Add another 1/3 of the flour and stir until mixed in.
- Add the bananas to the bowl and stir until well incorporated.
- Add the last of the flour and stir until well mixed.
- Add to the bowl the chocolate chips and/or walnuts if you are including them and stir until they are mixed in.
- Pour the batter into the greased loaf pan and bake in the oven for one hour.
- Allow the bread to cool in the pan before serving and enjoy!